Prof. Dr. Dr. Reinhard Mosandl
Email: mosandl (at) tum.de
Reinhard Mosandl is the director of the Institute of Silviculture at Technische Universität München (TUM). He received his PhD in forest science in 1984 from the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (LMU), where he continued to teach and do research and eventually became Assistant Professor for Forest Management. From here, Professor Mosandl began work with the Bavarian State Forestry Department where he served as Director of the State Forestry Office in Selb, Bavaria. In 1993, Professor Mosandl received an appointment as Full Professor at the Institute of Silviculture and Forest Protection at the University of Technology of Dresden. In 1996, he returned to the LMU to serve as director of the Institute of Silviculture. In 1992, the institute was relocated to its current home at the TUM. Professor Mosandl's research focuses on silviculture and management in forests in both the temperate and tropical zones.
Main research interests:
Silviculture, restoration ecology
- Silvicultural contributions to the maintenance and rehabilitation of the utilization potential of forest resources in the tropical mountain rainforest region of southern Ecuador (DFG FOR 816)
- Silvicultural contributions to sustainable management and conservation of forest resources in the highlands of Ethiopia (DFG)
- Rehabilitation of watersheds in the Qinling Mountains in southern Shaanxi Province, China (BMBF) through reforestation.
- Analysis of the effects of silvicultural interventions on spruce populations (Picea abies [L. Karst.]) in mixed species mountain forests (Bavarian Forest Administration)
- Silviculture and Wood Quality